River Valley's Early History Explored in New Book

Local historians and authors, John P. and Barb Hencheck, are releasing the second edition of their historical research book on the early history of Lambertville, New Jersey (Coryell’s Ferry) titled The Road Along the Rocks 1758: “The Bungtown Road.”
Like the limited first edition this edition explores in depth the only untouched 18th century road in America used during the American Revolution. The new edition provides freshly documented material which serves to broaden the focus on the use of this road from the early colonial period through the Revolutionary War period in the area surrounding Coryell’s Ferry now Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA.
Hunterdon County’s capital was Trenton. Therefore, the first major American victory saw subaltern James Monroe under the command of William Washington, a cousin of George Washington, moving with troops through Coryell’s Ferry from the Pennsylvania to the New Jersey side in December of 1776. These troops “with a piece of artillery” moved through to Pennington using the road in order to set up a roadblock prior to the Battle of Trenton and Washington’s actual crossing of the Delaware lower down the river and closer to Trenton. Both officers were wounded in that December battle at Trenton; Monroe recovered from his wounds at the ferry thus starting his lifelong friendship with members of the Coryell family. Though he recovered from his nicked artery he carried the musket ball as a reminder of that day.
Again, in June of 1778 the ferry and the road proved of service to the American cause. General George Washington and over 10,000 troops with support personnel employed the road in pursuit of the British en route to the Battle at Monmouth.
You can literally walk on this 16 and ½ foot road in the footsteps of these two future presidents as well as other notables as Alexander Hamilton, General Charles Lee, and James McHenry (Fort McHenry) of the American side. Charles, Lord of Cornwallis and Banastre Tarleton (movie the Patriot) from the British side used the road to attempt a crossing on December 9, 1776, thus encircling Washington and his army as they were fleeing across the state to reach Trenton and safety on the Pennsylvania side.
The documentation of the actual road’s construction details and its use are presented with numerous photographs, historic maps and documents fully captioned with accompanying text in a large, easy to read format with a full list of sources and footnotes. It should prove of interest for every level of Revolutionary War student and enthusiast.
This historic resource, The Road Along the Rocks, was originally part of Washington Crossing State Park but was removed from the park’s protection in 2015. The road is now threatened by the construction of a new natural gas pipeline, the Penn East project. Once destroyed, this sacred ground of the American Revolution will exist as it was only on the pages of this limited second edition. At this date the road still can be completely walked by following the signs marking its route for the 225th anniversary of the Road to Monmouth Battlefield, see book for details and caption for the sign below.
For a copy of this limited edition, signed by the authors, please email the authors at jhencheck@gmail.com or call 609-397-2531. The cost per book is $25.00 picked up locally from the authors; add $7.00 for mailing through the United States Postal Service. Cash or checks made out to the authors.
Signs donated by the Kiwanis Club to commemorate the 225th Anniversary of the Line of March to the Battle of Monmouth. Signs begin in New Hope, PA, at the base of Ferry Street; continue on to Ferry Street, Lambertville; up Lilly Street to Quarry Street; up Rock Road to Rock Road east. Kevin Griffin well-known area graphic designer and area artist graciously donated his talent to the project.